Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pack light?

"Do it right, travel light!"

I am laughing at this advice given in our booklet. How do you pack light for a month long trip? In different climates? Different customs? What exactly does that mean? And to top it all off, the airlines have to go and start charging for more bags. What? Know though that if you fly internationally, you get to take two bags per person. Then when you have a lap child on the way back, they get a bag, too. Nice.

Seriously, I had Avi's bag packed and I had to pull out about half of the clothes because it wouldn't shut. I'm trying to cut back but there are so many cute things and um...I don't have a girl. I'm used to all this boy stuff and it was very awkward shopping on the "other" side. Pink, pink, pink. Whoa. That's alot of pink.

I bet we all can imagine what my own bag is going to look like, right? I guess I may need to start packing since I'll be repacking it all week. Right after my first year of college, I went to Europe and remember those track suits that were light weight, easy to pack. Yeah, I just took those and I felt so dumpy the entire time. That trip was a big eye opener of what kind of an assortment of clothes I really need. Ha. Ha. Jay has a horrible habit of wearing the same clothes all the time in Rocky Point. He thinks he's going to do this there, too. Um. Yeah, I don't think so. Guys have it so easy.

I still haven't finished the final documents that need notarized. Try to get that done, tomorrow...maybe?

5 comments:

Beth said...

Nicole, I am getting so excited for you and your trip. I am praying for you as you prepare to meet your little angel. God Bless

Sherri said...

Here's something I forgot. Babies don't just make messes on their clothes, they make them on yours too! I wouldn't pack too light :). Praying everything gets done! God bless you guys!

Sherri

Dan and Karen said...

My two cents worth - we were in a pretty warm area for most of our trip and of course then in Bogota. I took sleeveless things and then a sweater that I could wear with them while we were in cooler areas. I didn't take a big variety of outfits. Guess I figured I'm not there to impress anyone and if they had to see me in the same thing several days(which they did) - oh well! :)
Good luck with the packing!

The Jensen Family said...

Ok, here are my suggetions--bring a variety of clothing--long sleeved, short sleeved, capris, jeans. Maybe a sweathirt and jacket as well. The weather is crazy here. I was told to bring snacks from home but really it was a waste of a suitcase. You can find everything here and prices are pretty similar. Plus, there is every kind of food under the sun. We have yet to have a bad meal and I am an extremely picky eater! f you said in one of your earlier blogs I apologize. Today is the first time I have been able to check blogs in a week. But do you know where you are staying. How long will you be in Bogota? One day?

Adelman said...

I was a heavy packer...I admit it! BUT, we did use everything we packed except for the bathing suits we had brought in case we went to Cartagena. Alejandra had her own suitcase with her clothes. They were so small that I was able to pack A LOT in the bag. I bought the Trumpette socks instead of shoes and that was PERFECT for her. The socks vs. shoes also saved space. I brought some toys for her, but not too many as El Refugio had a lot of toys. I did bring a blanket from home so that when we got back home she would have something with a familiar smell in her new crib. Oh and something that took A LOT of space but I am so happy I brought is the Boppy pillow. It was a life saver on the plane on the way back home and we used it every night and day during nap time. The Boppy has its own case with handles so I stuffed it with all of Alejandra's toys on the way back home....Just a thought...not that I want to add to your packing worries.

Also, just a thought, I had brought 6 bottles total. 3 wide neck Dr. Brown's and 3 regular neck Dr. Brown's. Well, Alejandra took to the regular size ones and 3 just wasn't enough. We ended up having to go buy 1 more bottle at Pepe Ganga but it was SO expensive (almost 20 dollars for one)! In retrospect it makes sense to have brought the regular neck ones since that is what is most common in Colombia.

BTW....we joked with Andres on the way to El Dorado Airport and said if we had won an award for the most pieces of luggage. He said "Yes!" I was joking, but he was serious....LOL! We had 6 pieces of check-in luggage plus 4 carry-ons. We were 3 adults and 1 baby so I guess I can justify it...LOL!

If you need any other help please email me at dampudiaadelman@cox.net

Debi