Thursday, May 15, 2008

Low of our day 5/15/08

Cocoa, Burr & Bill
I don't know how to start this post. I know this is our adoption blog but Bill was our family. Our dogs have been our kids when we didn't have, trying to and during our wait to have children. They have been faithful friends during the highs and lows of our 10 year marriage. When Jay married me (Nicole), he also got Bill. Cocoa came a few months later and we rescued Burr that next year. Our first few fights being newly married was that Jay didn't want inside dogs and definitely didn't want them in our bed. Well, we can see who conceded. Thanks Jay! Bill was fun and had such a sweet spirit. He loved to go for runs with Jay & G-Pa. Loved to go for rides in the truck, in fact all you had to say was "who want to go" and he'd be at the door. Bill contracted valley fever early in his life but with medication we were able to control it. The valley fever affected one of his hips so he would carry that leg all the time. That didn't stop him from running, jumping over our brick wall or jumping flat foot from the ground over the side of a truck to get in. He was such a love baby! If ever I was having a bad day or in tears he would come right up and make you pet him. He would just melt in your arms or right there next to you.
We had to put our dog to sleep today and are extremely heart broken! Jay and I are just sick with sadness. When we were burying him, Cocoa kept trying to get in with him. They were inseparable. It's just so sad! The timing on this whole thing is horrible but I am grateful for so many things. I'm sad it happened but I'm glad it did while we were here. I'm glad we were able to spend the evening with him last night. When we picked him up from the vet he went for his last ride in the truck and jumped out like he always did. He was such a good sport even though he was in so much pain. He was a great dog and already miss him terribly.
We love you, Baby Bill and we can't wait to see you in Heaven!
If we love animals this much, what does that say about the people we love?Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

The Eisenbergers said...

Nicole, I am so sorry for your loss. Our dogs are our children too, so I understand how devastating this must be. I will be praying for your family as you all work out how to grieve this loss in the midst of the joy of preparing to meet your daughter. Thank you for sharing Bill's life story with us all. He sounds like he was an amazing companion!

Andrea

Elizabeth and Joe Chambers said...

I'm so sorry for you and your family. That's really a tough problem to go through. We'll be praying for you guys.

Genece said...

So sorry for your loss. Dogs are just as much an important part of your family make-up and it is extremely sad to part with them. Within the month before we left for Colombia, we lost one of our beloved pug dogs, Sarah. But it's like you said... we were very thankful, also, that we were there to comfort her before she passed on. Sending our prayers,
Genece