I'm thinking of the different ways our two children came into our lives. We have Asher, who's birthparents made the choice to give him to us and Avigail who was removed from her birthparents. Two completely different situations. I'm sad that she won't know where and what she came from. It's not like it is with Asher, we exchange mail, visited and have common family that we know what's going on in eachother's lives. With Avigail, at this time I'm not secure with her situation. I guess it goes back to why we can't keep in contact with the foster parents. Seriously, we all know one person ruined it for everyone. But, sometimes they don't to be your friends they want something tangible. I don't want that for her. I know I cannot control the future and of course I want to bring her back to Colombia. I want her to be proud in her heritage. This is a great country! I don't want anyone from her past to take from her. Just want to connect because they need something from her. Know what I mean?
We have had a great time here and definately will come back. Maybe even for another adoption...have to sell Jay on that first. He's on the fence. We'll see. I'm glad our agency requires one year before we can pursue something else.
It's been educational staying at Hotel Halifax. I'm really glad we decided to stay here. We've met so many different people from different parts of the world. Here they are from different countries and the common language we have is english. We take for granted so many blessings that we have like being born in an english country. They learn to speak ours but do we take the time out to do the same? I (Nicole) have not...especially because I had three years to learn spanish and I didn't. We really want our kids to speak another language. Jay has done so well here. People start talking to me and I get that deer in the headlights look. He gives himself very little credit but he's made our lives so much easier here. I'm glad I have him here to experience this with me.
Peter, Kerstin, Jayson & Us
On Sundays, Bogota closes down this area of town to traffic. It has been such a quiet afternoon except for the alarm that's been going off all day in another building...very close. I'm guessing security is not up to par at that particular site. We went to the park with Peter, Kerstin & Jayson. Had a lazy day here at Halifax. We wanted to sight see but since we will be in a plane tomorrow for about 8 hours, we decided against. We know we'll come back...something to look forward to. Next time, Asher's coming. He has been such a big boy while we've been away. I don't know how we would have survived if we would not have met them in Santa Marta for 12 days. It was a great way to break up the five weeks but he's ready for us to be home. Poor baby cried on Skype the last few nights just wanting to go home. This has been hard for all of us and thank God he's so young that he (hopefully) won't remember.
I appreciate all of our family and how they pulled together to help us get to where we are today. Thank you so much Arp Family for taking care of Asher-man and Thank you Ama & Papa for taking care of our dog children. We couldn't have done this without your help. We can't wait for you all to meet her...family, friends and "blog" friends.
Our flight leaves in the a.m. at 9:30 and we'll be in Phoenix at 7:30pm. Probably stick close to home for the next week or so. Jay is taking one more week off so we can spend time just with Asher. Next time I blog it will be from home. I will be better at blogging from home. Look for updates!
Advice I would give to those traveling in the future: Come here with no expectations. I know time is valuable but if you just relax and enjoy your time here it's much easier. What we've all learned during the wait for our Colombian children is that we cannot control this process. Enjoy each and every day that's been given!
No comments:
Post a Comment