Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bogota



As I write this it is pouring rain outside. This morning was very warm and sunny. Early afternoon it was a little cloudy but nice. Then boom, it started to rain. Very beautiful! As David, Lucia's son, put it: They have summer in the morning and winter at night. I can totally see that
!

Yesterday we arrived in Bogota and were taxi-ed to Hotel Halifax. The people here are super nice! There is family here from Spain adopting a 4 year old boy from Florencia and a family from the Nederlands adopting an 18 month old girl from Bogota. The hotel is just wonderful! We've had a great time already.

Yesterday I (Nicole) was a bit upset, first time in Colombia. When Andres picked us up yesterday morning, we were hoping we could everything done yesterday because we thought the embassy was going to be closed today (Thursday). I asked Jay to ask Andres what our agenda for the day was. Andres said we had our medical appointment at 3:30. That meant we were not going to the embassy that day. Noone knew if the embassy would be open on Thursday. I was extremely bummed. It's not that I'm ready to be home but the thought of going home and not getting there for another week sent me into a panic. Called home on the verge of tears but I kept it together.

We had lunch and then came back to our room. We went online to get the embassy info and Jay called. He had to call a couple times to get an answer but they said they would be open. Yes! We took a nap, which seems to be our thing here in Bogota. It has to be the elevation, 8500 feet, because Avi is sleeping all the time. Our lunch on Thursday consisted of a stuffed cucumber just like our stuffed bell peppers. It's a different type of cucumber but Jay was surprised none the least. He kept telling me that he never knew you could do this to a cucumber. Really, he doesn't like them or pickles because they grew them when he was younger. Not quite sure why but it's cucumbers and crickets. He doesn't care for either of these.

The doctor's visit is just as everyone says: Very easy! The doctor spent time going to school in the US about 35 years ago. We weren't there very long at all...maybe an hour. Came back to our hotel and Andres told us to call Lucia around 7pm. We had dinner with our new acquaintances and enjoyed our brief conversations. We met the staff and had about a 30 minute conversation with them. I say "we" but really Jay. I guess they don't have very many Americans stay here, mostly Europeans. I'm following the conversations alot easier than I was before. I'm still not brave enough to open my mouth to speak but I'm understanding. Jay will translate after something and I'll say already got it and then tell him. Berlitz here I come when I get home!

Called Lucia and she told us David would be picking us up at 9:30 Thursday morning to go to the embassy. I'll have a new post for today (Thursday).

No comments: